Tuesday, December 24, 2019

December 24, 2019

Salut mes amis!
Joyeux Noel!!
I am so so excited for Christmas! We did so many fun things this week! We went caroling last night at an old folks' home. There is so much power in music. Especially music about the Savior. I think I understand why people are generally happier at Christmas. Christ is everywhere! And whether people recognize it or not, it is Him they are feeling. Because the holy ghost testifies of truth. And there are a lot of opportunities for him to testify to people's hearts this time of year. Pure and simple. 
Exchanges also happened! This was sister Calls first one! I got to be with sister Christensen. It was lovely. She is a gem! I am very proud of her for training! She is doing so well too! 
We spent the morning volunteering at the Lion's club and it was great! Plus, we got a free breakfast out of it which I always enjoy hehe. This week has been so crazy busy. We have been trying to visit literally everyone before Christmas because afterwards we are going to be in Montreal. There have been so many people give us gifts! I was not expecting it! Nova Scotians are just such a kind and giving people. I love them with all my heart.
Last Sunday was lovely! Brain came to church and LOVED it!! He said that he wants to come back next week. It really seemed to change him dramatically. He called us later the next day to thank us and to ask for a ride for next week. He didn't ever do that before. It is so cool to see how the gospel (when correctly understood) changes people. It changes people's desires and makes them want to be more independent, more anxiously engaged, and more wise. It is such a relief to see honestly. Sometimes as a missionary I feel that I work SO hard trying to convince people to just come and see! Just come and taste of the fruit and then you will understand! It is a lot like pulling teeth... And lots of times, people say no. But we keep trying. And the ones who say yes make all of it worth it. I am willing to labor all of my days even if it means I can only bring one soul unto Christ because everyone needs him. This is a soulsick world, but Christ is the master healer. I have come to know more about my Savior during these past 16 months than I have the whole rest of my life combined. I love my Savior. I have a testimony of his reality and I know that he lives. I know this because of the experiences I have had with him. He is always on my side. I know that he is not just cheering us on from the finish line, he is running with us. I have felt his help in a very real way. I love him. My favorite line from O Little Town of Bethlehem is:
"The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight"
Almost 2020 years ago, God gave us his matchless gift. And because of him, all will be made right and there can be joy in our hearts always.

I hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas and that you all can feel him near you this week and always. He loves us, and nothing will ever change that truth.
Love, sister Bates

No comments:

Post a Comment